Wednesday, December 16, 2009

December -A wonderful month of memories

After a wonderful celebration and a day set aside for Thanksgiving to our Heavenly Father for all the wonders of the past year we now head into the month of December. December, what mixed emotions comes with this month. It is the last month of the year (this year 2009), the month of happy thoughts and memories, the month of dark and sad memories, and the month of remembering the great comfort and hope for the days ahead as we remember the old, old, story of the birth of a wonderous child. Christmas, remembrances of the gifts of love, faith, comfort, assurance, atonement , sacrifice and the promise of eternal life. I love the story of our Savior and I know that it is a true story and the most amazing story in the whole world. We enjoy all the wonderful traditions and family customs, but it is still not Christmas for me until I can get my beautiful nativity set up. Then as I look at the baby in the manger I finally feel the Spirit of Christmas. Last night I finally was able to set it up. My wonderful Sweetheart spent some time and hard work to recover it from the cold garage for me. Yesterday was his first real day of recovery from the terrible cough and sickness that he has been going through since our return from Texas. I am so happy that he is recovering and getting back to his normal self.

Yesterday, I decided to bake a fruit cake and then of course I could not find the recipe for the really good fruit cake. So I took several different recipes and tried to pick out the best combination of all to come up with a cake that could be eaten. SUCCESS! I ended up with a very good fruit cake. I just hope I can remember what combination I used. I did try to write it all down. I have always loved my wonderful Mother-in-Laws fruit cake and I could not locate the recipe. I soaked the candied fruit overnight in apple juice and what a difference it made. The fruit plumped up and was not so dry and I toasted the walnuts just a bit for a bit of extra crunch.
I have not been able to post the most recent pictures for some reason I cannot get them to come up on the computer. I must be forgetting a very important something to do it.
I am off to another adventure of trying to get something finished before the grand day arrives. I am looking forward to having the family come for a Christmas Eve Brunch. This Saturday we are doing the Gramma's Christmas Cookie Day with the Grand-ones. It is always so much fun for me. I just hope the grands enjoy it as much as I do. Merry Christmas

1 comment:

4Girls4Me said...

What a sweet post Momma! You should add a picture of your nativity once you can get it on the computer. :) I am so glad that Dad is feeling better too! Thanks for coming to Madi's little show today! :) It was so nice to see you and for Bayli to get some Grandma & Grandpa loves and I know it made Madi feel special. The girls are all looking forward to Cookie Day with Grandma!! :)